Our last two adventures have covered Sex Trafficking…What’s That? and Sex Trafficking…How Does It Happen?. As promised again we will finish with our last adventure down this horrible path of Sex Trafficking with prevention and protection. This post is going to cover ways to protect ourselves and prevent ourselves from ever being sucked into the world that is sex trafficking.
For starters we have to get rid of this stigma that we can’t or shouldn’t talk about almost anything having to do with sex. We should talk openly with our family members especially our children about what sex is, what sexual abuse is, what inappropriate touching is, what sex trafficking is, and especially the dangers of social media. These topics should definitely be talked about more than once because lets face it attention spans are short and we all could use a reminder now and again.
Some other things we can do to protect ourselves are….
- To be aware of the way sex traffickers work.
- Know the signs of sex trafficking or scouting.
- Show unconditional love to your friends and families!
- Be involved in your children’s lives.
- ALWAYS keep your personal information to yourself such as address, social security number, phone number, etc.
- Don’t ever set up a meeting with someone alone in a secluded location.
- If something sounds too good to be true…..It usually is!
Finally, if you do know of someone who has fallen into the trap of sex trafficking please ask for help! There are a number of hotlines to call and so many people out there that want to help. Remember it is not the victims fault! You can get out!